Located at 400 W. Retta Esplanade in historic Punta Gorda, Gilchrist Park contains 11 acres stretched along the waterfront between the downtown and Fishermen’s Village.
Gilchrist Park provides sweeping views of the Charlotte Harbor. Park amenities include a large playground; basketball, tennis and pickleball courts; fishing pier, gazebo, picnic pavilions, and lost of open green space..
Smaller events including weddings, craft shows and impromptu concerts are held in the park as well.
The park is named for Governor Albert Gilchrist, a real estate broker, surveyor, and political leader and one of the founding fathers of the City. Governor Gilchrist was well loved in Punta Gorda with a lifetime of public service first on City Council, then in the State Legislature culminating as Governor of Florida from 1909 to 1913. Always a community benefactor, Governor Gilchirst in his will established a $5,000 endowment to the City for the provision of ice cream to all the children of Punta Gorda on Halloween. This tradition continues annually with the assistance of many community partners.
Also located within the park is the Bayfront Center operated by the YMCA of Charlotte County. This facility hosts YMCA programs including a sailing center. This waterfront facility is also available for event rental through the YMCA.
400 W. Retta Esplanade
Punta Gorda, FL 33950
- 11 acres along Charlotte Harbor
- Basketball court
- Connection to Punta Gorda Pathways
- Connection to Laishley Park
- Fishing pier
- Shelters & picnic tables
- Small beach
- Sidewalk for walking, jogging and biking
- Tennis courts
- 4 Pickleball courts- Open 8 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. View the extensive Pickleball Committee Report at Pickleball_Committee_Report-PRINT_COPY
PARK RENTAL & EVENTS
326 WEST MARION AVENUE
PUNTA GORDA, FL 33950
Other City Parks & Facilities
Hounds on HenryAmenities:
- Pet Friendly
This park contains approximately one and a half (1.5) acres and provides two fenced areas (large and small breed), sidewalks and other facilities for residents and their K-9 companions.
In order to protect the safety and welfare of park users and the citizens of the City of Punta Gorda, the following rules and regulations apply within the Hounds on Henry Dog Park:
- No animals other than dogs are allowed in the park.
- Dog owners must accompany their dog(s) at all times when inside the park.
- Dogs are required to wear a collar with a current license attached and must be current on their rabies vaccines.
- Dog owners are responsible for the clean-up/removal of their dog’s feces. Owners must utilize the bag stations and trash cans for feces removal.
- Female dogs in heat and dogs under the age of 4 months are prohibited from entering the park.
- No glass containers are allowed inside of the park.
- Smoking is prohibited in the park.
- Aggressive dogs are not permitted on the premises and owners must immediately remove their dog from the park at first sign of aggression.
Owners should be respectful and courteous to others in the park. Owners are expected to know the temperament of their dog and are ultimately responsible for the actions of their dog at all times while inside of the park. Owners are discouraged from bringing food into the park and from feeding dogs as food aggression or allergies may occur. Owners are not exempt from the Charlotte County Animal Control Ordinances in regards to dangerous/aggressive animals and may be subject to a fine in the event a violation occurs. The City reserves the right to deny access to the park for any dog and their owner for failure to comply with these rules and regulations or Charlotte County Animal Control Ordinances.