Located at 400 W. Retta Esplanade in historic Punta Gorda, Gilchrist Park contains 11 acres stretched along the waterfront between the downtown and Fishermen’s Village.
Gilchrist Park provides sweeping views of the Charlotte Harbor. Park amenities include a large playground; basketball, tennis and pickleball courts; fishing pier, gazebo, picnic pavilions, and lost of open green space..
Smaller events including weddings, craft shows and impromptu concerts are held in the park as well.
The park is named for Governor Albert Gilchrist, a real estate broker, surveyor, and political leader and one of the founding fathers of the City. Governor Gilchrist was well loved in Punta Gorda with a lifetime of public service first on City Council, then in the State Legislature culminating as Governor of Florida from 1909 to 1913. Always a community benefactor, Governor Gilchirst in his will established a $5,000 endowment to the City for the provision of ice cream to all the children of Punta Gorda on Halloween. This tradition continues annually with the assistance of many community partners.
Also located within the park is the Bayfront Center operated by the YMCA of Charlotte County. This facility hosts YMCA programs including a sailing center. This waterfront facility is also available for event rental through the YMCA.
400 W. Retta Esplanade
Punta Gorda, FL 33950
- 11 acres along Charlotte Harbor
- Basketball court
- Connection to Punta Gorda Pathways
- Connection to Laishley Park
- Fishing pier
- Shelters & picnic tables
- Small beach
- Sidewalk for walking, jogging and biking
- Tennis & pickle ball courts
PARK RENTAL & EVENTS
326 WEST MARION AVENUE
PUNTA GORDA, FL 33950
Other City Parks & Facilities
- Passive Park
Breakers Park provides panoramic vistas of the Peace River. The park consists of two land parcels containing approximately one and one half (1.5) acres of land which has been partially developed as a passive park. It is a portion of the waterfront parks that are connected through the City’s existing multi-use recreational trails. Brown Park, the second piece of land, is beautifully landscaped.