Welcome to City of Punta Gorda. We’re excited that you are interested in becoming a part of our City. Annexation into the City of Punta Gorda offers many benefits, including higher levels of service and more accessible government. We’re also careful to balance the interests of annexation, making sure we maintain the same high standards for both current residents and our new neighbors. We’re sure you’re going to enjoy being part of “City Living.”
What is Annexation?
- Annexation is the process that allows a neighborhood, community, or individual property to become part of the City of Punta Gorda
- Annexation typically occurs when residents elect to join the City, often seeking improved municipal services, superior police and fire protection and more responsive government
- Florida law provides for the annexation of areas contiguous to incorporated municipalities in order to provide a more rational and efficient delivery of services to residents
- Annexation contributes to sound growth development, strengthening municipal boundaries and providing an improved framework for residential and business expansion
Benefits of Annexation
- Reduce your tax burden and save money!
- Based on a general comparison of tax rates and taxing entities, residents of unincorporated Charlotte County would see moderate savings in annual property taxes by annexing into the City Limits
- Your property and state tax dollars would stay in your community – going directly to the improvements in this area.
- The city is committed to making the most of your tax dollars