Become a part of a great team!
Interest Card and Application
Qualifications for Employment
In order to qualify for employment with the Punta Gorda Police Department, the applicant must meet the following MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Be at least 21 years of age;
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Before date of hire, possess a valid Florida Drivers License within three months;
- Be of good moral character with no felony arrest(s) or misdemeanor arrests involving moral character, domestic violence, perjury, or false statements;
- Be in good physical condition;
- Successfully complete our hiring process.
All applicants must take part in the Punta Gorda Police Officer testing process which is conducted quarterly (out-of-cycle testing may be authorized by the Chief of Police). This two-day process consists of a written examination, physical abilities test, and an oral board.
Upon successful completion of the testing process, applicants will be placed into an eligibility pool. Candidates will remain in the eligibility pool for a period of one year from the date of placement into the pool. The Chief of Police will select members of the eligibility pool for a personal interview. Applicants may then be referred for a complete and thorough Background Investigation.
Upon successful completion of the above assessments, the applicant may be given a conditional offer of employment. Upon receiving the conditional offer of employment, the applicant will be required to successfully complete the following examinations prior to employment:
- Medical Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Drug Screen
- Polygraph/Voice Stress Anaylsis (at the discretion of the Chief of Police)
Salary and Benefits
We offer qualified candidates the following:
- A minimum starting salary of $40,000 annually
- Full equipment to include firearm, cellular telephone, laptop computer, etc.
- Annual uniform cleaning allowance
- Annual shoe allowance
- Take-home car policy
- Specialty Unit Assignments to include:
- Bike Unit
- Field Training Officer (FTO) Team
- Honor Guard
- K-9 Unit
- Marine Unit
- Motor Unit
- Exceptional Police Pension Plan
- Employee contributes 8% with pre-tax dollars
- 5 years to vest
- 3% credit given for each year of service
- Normal retirement: 25 years/age 55
- DROP plan
- Military and Law Enforcement buy-back option (up to 5 years)
Out of State Applicants
If you are a police officer who is currently certified in another state's jurisdiction, a federal officer or a military police officer, you may be eligible to become certified as a Law Enforcement Officer in the State of Florida.
Certified Selection Centers will verify your basic recruit certification and training records (Law Enforcement Constitutional Law and Legal Issues, Report Writing, Interpersonal Skills, Firearms, Defensive Tactics, First Aid or Equivalent, Vehicle Operations, Law Enforcement Patrol, Criminal Investigations, Traffic Crash Investigations, Traffic Stops and
Control), and employment-verification.
The Selection Center will review your training record and determine if you have met the requirement to be granted an EOT (equivalency of training, form CJSTC-76). This is a five-to-six-week process.
If you have met the requirements, you will need to enroll in an Equivalency of Training / Comparative
Compliance academy that will train you in high-liability areas (firearms, first aid, emergency-vehicle operation, and defensive
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be given a certificate that will allow you to
take the statewide Officer Certification Examination (SOCE). Upon successful completion of the exam, you will be certifiable to
become a Florida Law Enforcement Officer.
If you believe that you qualify for this training; you can initiate the process by clicking on the following link that will take you to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement website for Selection Centers:
Florida Department of Law Enforcement
For More Information on becoming a member of a great team, contact:
Lt. Jeffrey Woodard
The Punta Gorda Police Department is a DFWP, EOE, VP Employer
Public Safety Building
1410 Tamiami Trail
Punta Gorda, FL. 33950
Tel. (941) 639-4111
Fax. (941) 575-5502