City of Punta Gorda Florida
Careers | FAQs | Employees | Online Services
Punta Gorda - City Departments
Punta Gorda
City Council

City Manager

City Clerk


Growth Mgmt

Human Resources Division



Public Works

Punta Gorda - City Departments

Canal Maintenance

Waterfront Property Owner's Guide

Canal Maintenance Presentation

Hurricane Preparedness for Boat Owners

BSI Perimeter Canal Dredging Project

Results of BSI CAC Survey of Waterfront Property Owners

Bathymetric Study BSI Perimeter Canal

BSI Historical Aerials 1952-1998

PGI Historical Aerials 1951-1998

freeman house The 2012 annual seawall and seawall cap assessment in Punta Gorda Isles and Burnt Store Isles is now available for viewing on the Charlotte County GIS website. To view the assessment in your area please click HERE and follow the instructions to access the Charlotte County GIS website.

The City of Punta Gorda's Canal Maintenance Division strives to provide quality service for the seawall system throughout the City.

Residents of PGI and BSI finding depressions at their seawall should notify Public Works at 575-5050. A crew will be dispatched to properly fill the depression and determine its cause. This service is covered by your Canal Maintenance fee and is performed at no additional charge.

Please do not put anything in the depression. Above all, do not attempt to reach into the hole. A depression may appear to be small at the surface, but there is a larger cavity below. Spiders, snakes, rats and even raccoons have been found trying to take up residence in a depression.

The City of Punta Gorda Code of Ordinances do allow residents to fill their own depressions - but why should you? Give us a call and we will be glad to take care of them for you.

Below are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding seawalls:

1. Who do I contact to report a fallen seawall?
You should contact Public Works at 575-5050 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday; after hours call 639-2057.

2. Will we be notified before crews come to replace the seawall?
Yes. Prior to starting work, a contractor's representative will contact you to discuss sprinkler systems, electric and water lines, etc.

3. Will I have to move my boat for seawall replacement to be made?
Yes. The contractor will be working on your seawall using a barge mounted crane to lift concrete panels weighing over two tons each. For your peace of mind and ours, boats must be moved away from the project areas.

4. Once replacement begins at my residence, how long should a replacement take?
Normally a seawall replacement project should take approximately three to four weeks from start to completion.

5. Who is responsible for repairs to the docks, boat lifts, davits, etc?
Property owners are responsible for any damage to their dock, boat lift, davits or any personal property. The contractor will make every effort to prevent damage to the resident's property.

Please do not attach anything to the seawall or seawall cap and refrain from the installation of anything within 6' of the backside of the wall cap.

Public Works
3130 Cooper Street
Punta Gorda, FL. 33950
Tel. (941) 575-5050
Fax. (941) 575-5044