Any person desiring to rent a dwelling unit within the City of Punta Gorda as a “vacation rental” will be required to first obtain a Business Tax Receipt from the City in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 12, Punta Gorda Code. Before the City may issue a Business Tax Receipt, the applicant must provide evidence of a currently valid “public lodging establishment” license from the Division of Hotels and Restaurants of the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

Pursuant to Section 509.241(1), Florida Statutes, anyone seeking to rent any dwelling unit or group of such units to guests more than 3 times in a calendar year for periods of less than 30 days or one calendar month, whichever is less, or which is advertised or held out to the public as a place regularly rented to guests, must obtain the appropriate “public lodging establishment” license.

Additionally, pursuant to Chapter 12, Section 12-6, Punta Gorda Code, prior to the issuance of a Business Tax Receipt, a dwelling unit to be used for the purposes of a “vacation rental” shall be inspected by the City of Punta Gorda for compliance with the City’s zoning, building and fire codes.

To apply for a City Business Tax Receipt, visit our Local Business Tax Receipt page.

Vacation rentals are subject to the same regulations as other residential properties. Violations of Punta Gorda Code at a vacation rental property can be reported to the Code Compliance Division by email or call (941)575-3352. If you suspect a vacation rental is not registered with the City, contact the City Clerk's Office by email or by phone at (941)575-3369. To learn more about the regulation of vacation rentals, see the City Attorney's memorandum regarding same.

Please find below some commonly asked questions and answers concerning vacation rentals. If you have further questions, please contact the City Clerk's Office by email or call (941)575-3369.