The Punta Gorda Fire Department Home generated Sharps Recovery Program was designed as a community service to assist the residents of both the City of Punta Gorda as well as all of Charlotte County with a safe and environmentally sound method for disposing of used needles or "sharps".
The improper disposal of sharps threatens the safety of every member of our community, as they may be contaminated with hepatitis, HIV, and/or other serious diseases.
If you have a medical condition that requires the use of injected medications, please make the extra effort to participate in this free program. While helping prevent accidental needle sticks in our community, you may also be protecting yourself.
How does it Work?
- Stop in to the Punta Gorda Fire Department (Public Safety Building) 1410 Tamiami Trail. Office hours 08:00-5:00, Mon.-Fri.
- Ask for a new sharps container and instructions on its use.
- Take container home; keep it out of the reach of children.
- Dispose of your used syringes completely intact into the sharps container.
- When the container is approximately ¾ full, permanently close the top following the simple directions on the container.
- Once closed, return the filled sharps container to the Punta Gorda Fire Department (Public Safety Building) 1410 Tamiami Trail, for proper disposal.
- Obtain a new sharps container! FREE!
THIS PROGRAM IS BEING PROVIDED FOR THE PRIVATE SECTOR ONLY.
All professionals and businesses are regulated under state and federal biomedical waste laws and may not participate.