One of the most significant pieces of legislation ever passed by Congress is the Affordable Care Act. Under the provisions of the Act, the City of Punta Gorda is required to provide its employees with certain mandatory notices.
- Marketplace Notice: Informs employees of their right under the ACA to access the state or regional health insurance marketplace if their employer does not provide health insurance. This is the most critical notice that each applicable employer must provide its employees.
- Other Notices: The employer is required to provide to its employees other notices that specify certain rights under the Affordable Care Act.
- CHIP Notice: If an employee or the employee's child(ren) are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program) and is eligible for health coverage from their employer, the State of Florida may have a premium assistance program that can help pay for coverage, using funds from their Medicaid or CHIP programs. If the employee or their child(ren) aren’t eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, the employee won’t be eligible for these premium assistance programs but may be able to buy individual insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. For more information, visit www.healthcare.gov.
- HIPAA Privacy Practices: This notice describes how health information about an employee covered by the City's health insurance may be used and disclosed and how the employee can get access to this information,
- Breast Reconstruction Surgery: If an employee has to have a mastectomy, breast reconstruction surgery is covered under the City's health coverage.
- Medicare Part D Letter: This notice has information about current prescription drug coverage with The City of Punta Gorda and about options under Medicare’s prescription drug coverage. This information can help Medicare eligible employees or retirees decide whether or not they want to join a Medicare drug plan. Information about where they can get help to make decisions about their prescription drug coverage is at the end of this notice.
- Women’s Preventive Services Drug and Device List: Under the Affordable Care Act, birth control drugs and devices are covered the City's health insurance plans. This notice provides a list of those drugs and devices that are part of the coverage.