Employee Development Coordinator
The Employee Development Unit is facilitated by the Employee Development Coordinator, Corporal Justin Kleiver. The Employee Development Unit is responsible for the following functions:
- Department Training: The training function consists of general department training, in-service training, advanced training, the Field Training and Evaluation Program, and the Communications Training and Evaluation Program. This unit is also responsible for maintaining adherence to guidelines and standards that must be met by all officers and dispatchers at the local, state, and federal levels. Our police department utilizes many in-house certified trainers who are specialized in a wide variety of course disciplines.
- Department Certifications: The Employee Development Coordinator is responsible for all department members' certifications and ensures that the department is in compliance with local, state, and federal requirements.
- Recruitment and Hiring: As the department’s lead recruiter the Employee Development Coordinator develops and implements the department's recruitment plan, markets career opportunities with the department, and serves as a liaison between the City of Punta Gorda's Human Resources Department and applicants. Current job opportunities with the department can be found by visiting www.pgpdjobs.com.
- Employee Career Development: The Employee Development Coordinator assists all employees with enhancing their careers through career planning and ensuring that they are focused on receiving the proper training, experience, and education for their future.
- Internship Program: The Employee Development Coordinator is responsible for the administration of the department's Internship Program. This program allows college students and high school seniors looking to gain educational experience in law enforcement, criminal justice, or small government administration to receive a well-rounded look at how the police department functions.
Click here for more information on the program.
- Armory Management: The Employee Development Coordinator is responsible for the management of the department's armory including all firearms and less-lethal weapons systems.