Burnt Store Isles Canal Advisory Committee
12/10/2019 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM
FEMA Flood Zone Open House
12/12/2019 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Development Review Committee
12/13/2019 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
City Wide Garage Sales
12/14/2019 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
41st Annual Christmas Parade
12/14/2019 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Yoga in the Park
12/14/2019 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- > If my serious health condition extends beyond the twelve weeks of protected leave that is guaranteed by the FMLA, but I have sick and/or vacation leave still available that will enable my being able to continue to draw a paycheck during my absence, will I get my old job back when I am able to return to work?
> If my serious health condition extends beyond the twelve weeks of protected leave that is guaranteed by the FMLA, but I have sick and/or vacation leave still available that will enable my being able to continue to draw a paycheck during my absence, will I get my old job back when I am able to return to work?
PUBLIC SAFETY DISPATCHER
Salary and Benefits
- Starting salary of $36,296;
- Eligibility for overtime and specialty pay as assigned;
- Opportunities for advancement;
- Excellent health, dental, vision, and life insurance options;
- Paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, and shift differential;
- Retirement savings plans with pre-tax contributions and matching employer contributions;
- Deferred compensation plans available;
- Tuition reimbursement available.
To be eligible for employment as a public safety dispatcher with the Punta Gorda Police Department all applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Must be a citizen of the United States;
- Must have graduated from high school or have a GED from an accredited learning institution;
- Must have good communication skills;
- Must have strong computer and data entry skills;
- Must be able to multi-task in a fast paced environment and work well with others;
- Must successfully complete the hiring process including new hire testing, background investigation, psychological examination, and drug screen.
All applicants must participate in the Punta Gorda Public Safety Dispatcher new hire testing process. The process consists of a written exam, CritiCall exam, and staff interview.
- Written Exam: A standardized written examination, which measures the basic skills necessary to perform successfully as a public safety dispatcher. This includes reading comprehension, listening, problem solving, prioritizing, and multi-tasking.
All candidates who successfully complete the written exam are placed on the employment eligibility list for a period of one-year. As positions are available to be filled candidates from the hiring eligibility list may be selected to participate in the CritiCall examination and staff interview.
- CritiCall Exam: CritiCall is a computerized exam that tests applicants for critical skills and abilities necessary for success in a dispatch environment. Applicants are scheduled for testing on an individual basis.
- Staff Interview: The Chief of Police will select applicants from those who have successfully completed the CritiCall examination for the staff interview. Applicants may then be selected for a background investigation. Those who successfully pass the background investigation process may receive a conditional offer of employment and must complete a psychological examination and drug screen prior to employment.
For more information on joining the PGPD family, please contact:
Lieutenant Dylan Renz
The City of Punta Gorda is a Drug Free
Workplace, Equal Opportunity, and
Veterans' Preference Employer.
All elements of the selection process shall be job related and the
criteria for selection of candidates is not based upon a candidate’s race,
color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and
pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information,
and is therefore determined to be non-discriminatory.