The Sanitation/Refuse Collection Division collects refuse, yard waste and white goods from approximately 12,000 residential and commercial accounts each month. In addition, the City has a contract with Waste Management to provide weekly residential curbside recycling.
· Yardwaste Collection- Palm Fronds, Branches & Trimmings:
The City was recently notified by SLD Landfill/Waste Connections that plastic bags will no longer be allowed with the yardwaste. The yardwaste is processed into mulch and the plastic bags will contaminate the mulch. Any yardwaste that is in a plastic bag will not be collected. Biodegradable paper bags designated for yardwaste collection are allowed.
Yardwaste is collected once per week, and must be out to the curb by 6 a.m. on the day of collection to guarantee pickup. Do not mix yardwaste with regular household trash.
Palm fronds, limbs, etc. shall not exceed 4” in diameter or 4’ in length. These items must be tied and bundled for collection; bundles shall weigh no more than 35 pounds.
Shrubbery, grass clippings and leaves must be placed at the curb in containers. Containers shall not exceed 32 gallons in size or 35 pounds in weight and must have handles. Biodegradable paper bags designated for yardwaste collection are allowed. However, no plastic bags will be collected. The yardwaste is made into mulch and the plastic products could contaminate the mulch. Any yardwaste that is in a plastic bag will not be collected.
If you have a large quantity or loose pile of yardwaste, branches, stumps, etc., you will need to schedule a special collection either by visiting the Sanitation page on www.CityofPuntaGordaFL.com or by contacting the Public Works Department at Tel#941-575-5050. There may be a charge for excessive amounts, excessive numbers of special pickups or for special pickups arranged to avoid proper containerizing or bundling. Lot clearing and whole tree removal is NOT part of your regular service. You must contact a tree removal company.
SAFETY TIP! Do not place yard waste piles near or under power lines or trees, telephone boxes, mail boxes, fire hydrants, etc. This could impede access to the yard waste materials
It is more convenient, makes garbage collection easier and is much safer for our hardworking Sanitation crew. Your current garbage can will be replaced with either a 32, 48 or 96-gallon rolling cart. There will be no change to the pickup schedule and these changes do not affect recycling or yardwaste collection. The new carts belong to the City, please do not remove or take it if you move. The cart stays with the property.
- Household trash is collected twice per week. All trash should be out to the curb by 6 a.m. on the day of collection to guarantee pickup. Materials placed out later than 6 a.m. will not be picked up until your next collection day.
- Continue to place your garbage cart at the end of the driveway, in the same pick up location.
- Leave 5’ of clearance around your garbage cart and for all other curbside services. Please keep any toys, bikes, grills, etc., away from your trash cart to avoid any collection mistakes.
- Trash should be bagged inside the cart to prevent any wind-blown litter during the collection process, or any leakage from wet garbage. It can also help keep animals out of your garbage.
- Protect our residents and Sanitation crews—never place broken glass, metal shards, needles, razor blades or other sharp objects directly into a garbage bag. Non-contaminated items should be placed in a secondary container, such as a milk jug or sealable jar, to prevent penetration.
Have occasional extra garbage? Please call Public Works at 941-575- 5050 for further instructions related to special pickups.