SPECIAL NOTICE REGARDING
FOR BUSINESS TAX RECEIPTS
As of March 25, 2020, the following procedures are in effect in response to the current Local State of Emergency Declaration by the City of Punta Gorda. Offices are closed to public access; however, staff continues to process paperwork that is received.
1. A drop box has been placed in the ground floor lobby of the City Hall Annex located at 126 Harvey Street. All paperwork must be complete prior to entering the building – there is no availability for filling out paperwork at the drop off point. This is the only area of the Annex/City Hall buildings that can be accessed at this time. If you need to speak to City Clerk staff, our phone number is posted on the drop box.
2. Notary services by our staff are not available at this time.
3. Payments for new applications, transfer applications and renewals can be made by credit card over the phone at (941)575-3369. Checks can be mailed to the City Clerk’s Office at 326 West Marion Avenue, Punta Gorda, Florida 33950.
4. When your Business Tax Receipt is ready, it will be sent to you via regular mail or, if we have your email address on file, via email.
We thank everyone for their patience as we navigate through this unprecedented event. Updates will be posted to our website as the situation unfolds.
Stay safe and be well.
If you engage in, manage or operate a business, profession, occupation or vacation rental within the City of Punta Gorda, it is necessary to obtain a Business Tax Receipt. If your business has more than one location, a separate Receipt is required. Payment of the tax does not certify or imply any competence of the licensee. Businesses must comply with zoning codes, inspection requirements and any other applicable provisions of Punta Gorda Code.
The State of Florida offers a helpful How To Guide with basic information for opening a business.
Once you have established your business and selected a business location, a completed Application for Business Tax Receipt should be submitted along with all required documentation to the City Clerk’s Office. Documentation requirements are outlined within the Application.
All businesses including Vacation Rentals located within the City of Punta Gorda are also required to obtain a Charlotte County Business Tax Receipt. Contact the Charlotte County Tax Collectors Office for more information.
TRANSFERRING A TAX RECEIPT
To relocate (within the City limits) or transfer ownership of an existing business, you must submit a new Application for Business Tax Receipt to the City Clerk’s Office along with all required documents and payment. Applications with incomplete information or missing documentation cannot be processed.
BUSINESS TAX RECEIPT RENEWALS
Receipts expire annually on September 30th. Annual renewal notices are emailed in July of each year. Payment must be received prior to September 30th to avoid late penalties.
CLASSIFICATION AND ANNUAL FEE SCHEDULE
|LICENSED PROFESSIONAL:||Any business or occupation regulated by any State or Federal Regulatory Agency. Photocopies of all regulatory licenses, certificates, bar cards, etc. Required.
Annual Tax $105.oo Additional Locations $52.50
|NON-LICENSED POFESSIONAL:||Based on Number of Employees
1 to 19 employees $63.00
20 to 39 employees $131.25
40 plus employees $157.50
Additional locations $31.50
|MOBILE FOOD VENDING:||State license required. Property Owner Affidavit and Site Plan required, (except for construction sites).
Annual Tax $63.00
Additional Vehicles $31.50
|VEHICLE FOR HIRE:||Zoning Permit Required.
Annual Tax $63.00
|NON-RESIDENT INSURANCE COMPANY:||Annual Tax $105.00|
|COIN OPERATED/VENDING MACHINES:||Based on Number of Machines. A list of machine locations must be attached to this application. Vending machines are not permitted outdoors.
Annual tax $63.00 plus $1.00 per vending machine
|HOME BASED BUSINESS:||Affidavit for Limited Home Occupation required.
Licensed Professional $105.00
Non State Licensed Professional $63.00
PUBLIC LODGING ESTABLISHMENT:
|State of Florida License for Public Lodging required.
Annual Tax $63.00
|FLEA MARKET:||Based on average number of vendors during the previous fiscal year.
Annual Tax $63.00 per vendor
Proof of exemption in accordance with Florida State Statute 205.055 is required.
|Pro-Rated Fees: New businesses opening after March 30th pay a pro-rated tax for the first year equal to 50% of the annual fee. Late fees begin accruing on October 1st. Penalties are 10% after October 1st; 15% after November 1st; 20% after December 1st and 25% after January 1st.|
- Pay Online: Eligible businesses with valid PIN and a major credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover).
- Pay by phone: Credit card payment can be made by calling (941)575-3369.
- Pay by mail: Make checks payable to the City of Punta Gorda and mail to the City Clerk’s Office, 326 West Marion Avenue, Punta Gorda FL 33950.
- Pay in person: Cash, check or credit card accepted between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.