Solid Waste & Recyclable Containers
- Solid waste and recyclable containers shall be placed at the street curb no earlier than 24-hours prior to the scheduled collection. To assure collection, items should be placed at the curb prior to 6:00AM the day of collection
- Yardwaste shall be placed at the street curb no earlier than 24-hours prior to the scheduled collection
- Limbs, branches, palm fronds, etc. shall not exceed 4” in diameter or 4’ in length, and must be tied/bundled. Shrubbery, clippings, leaves, etc. must be placed in containers which shall not exceed 32 gallons in size or 35 pounds in weight
- Yardwaste cannot be placed in plastic bags and shall not be placed in the roadway or on vacant property
Junk, Trash, Rubbish, & Abandoned Items
- Discarded items that are allowed to accumulate that are valueless, or have only nominal or salvage value and are abandoned or left unprotected from the elements on public or real property are prohibited
- Yard waste must be prepared properly for pick up. Sanitation will not pick up any yard waste on undeveloped properties or construction and demolition materials or debris
- Washing machines, refrigerators, stoves, dryers, water heaters and similar appliances. The City handles the collection of these items with special collections and appointments are scheduled by calling the Sanitation Division at (941) 575-5050
City Code prohibits the taking of any garbage, yardwaste, recyclables, white goods or scrap metal placed at the curb by a resident for collection by anyone other than persons regularly employed by the City for such purpose, persons working under contract with the City, or pursuant to a valid franchise agreement with the City.
This does not apply to the removal of construction and demolition debris by a contractor.
Violations shall constitute a civil offense and violators will be subject to the issuance of a citation imposing the following penalties:
- First Offense – Written Warning,
- Second Offense - $25 Fine, Third Offense - $50 Fine
- Each subsequent offense thereafter - $250.00 Fine
Violations should be reported to the Police Department through the non-emergency line, (941) 639-4111.