Hedge - A group or row of closely planted vegetation that forms a physical or visual fence, screen or boundary. A hedge can consist of any mixture of plant species that grows to a height of three feet or more.
Hedges, privacy walls and fences are permitted in required yards in accordance with the following restrictions:
- In single-family residential districts, including the Special Residential Overlay District
- hedges and other landscaping located in front yards shall be permitted to any height except within any visibility triangle of any intersection or driveway
- hedges and landscaping shall not be planted in the City right-of-way
- Only sod is permitted to be located in the City right-of-way and requires a permit be obtained from Building
- hedges and landscaping within the visibility triangle shall be maintained at a height of no more than three feet
- hedges and landscaping located near any driveway which creates a visual sight barrier for vehicular or pedestrian traffic shall be maintained at a height of
- three feet or less for a distance of five feet on each side of the driveway and;
- a distance of ten (10) feet from the street yard property line measured toward the house or structure
- individual trees shall be permitted in the visibility triangle or visibility area provided that foliage is cut away between three and eight feet above the average grade of the road as measured at the centerline.
- The placement of multiple trees in the visibility area that impair visibility is not permitted
- hedges in side yards may be of any height
- Any conflict or objection from the adjacent property owner shall be a civil matter between the neighbors
- hedges in rear yards of properties abutting a waterway may be of any height but no hedges or other vegetation other than sod is permitted to be placed or maintained within six (6) feet of the seawall.
- properties abutting a golf course, another lot or green belt, hedges in the rear yard may be of any height
- residential properties adjacent to Burnt Store Road, a hedge or tree row of any height shall be permitted to be placed in the yard closest to the right-of-way to serve as a sound and sight barrier
- hedges and landscaping on all properties shall be maintained in a neat and healthy condition, pruned or trimmed on a regular basis and maintained free from uncontrolled overgrowth and free of debris, weeds, insects, rodents, snakes or other types of pests and vermin
- Failure to maintain any hedges or landscaping on any property shall be a code violation
Fence - Any artificially constructed barrier of any material or combination of materials constructed along the full length, or portion thereof, of any or all property line(s), or within the property for the purpose of protection or confinement or as a boundary or for the purpose of blocking part of the property from view or access that is not a privacy wall.
Privacy Wall. - Any artificially constructed barrier of brick, concrete blocks or Styrofoam covered with stucco or other approved finish, constructed within the buildable area of property for the purpose of protection or confinement or as a boundary or for the purpose of blocking part of the property from view or access that is not a fence.
No solid boundary wall shall be permitted.
These restrictions are applicable only to single-family or duplex residences. Multi-family and non-residential developments are subject to an approved landscape plan as part of the required Development Review process
In measuring the fence, hedge or privacy wall height, the ground elevation on the side of the fence, hedge or privacy wall location that is at the lowest elevation shall be used as the point from which the fence, hedge or privacy wall height is to be measured.
All privacy walls, gates, fences, plant material, and all other landscaping improvements shall be placed so as not to block any Fire Department appliances (fire hydrants and Fire Department Connections), when constructed or planted and/or mature. The minimum clearance around all Fire Department appliances shall be seven and one-half feet on each side, seven and one-half feet in front, and four feet in the rear.